Monday, May 6, 2013

Colonial Knots

One of the categories in the fair is Candlewicking.  Its supposed to be done on beige fabric with beige thread (or cotton candle wicking).  I did this last year ~ a scallop shell, which I really liked but it is hard to see beige on beige.  So this year, I decided to diversify my entry ~ beige fabric with purple thread ~ my favorite color! Last year I did mine with french knots instead of the colonial knot ~ but I guess it didn't bother the fair folks too much cause I got a blue ribbon on the entry.  Hopefully their sensibilities won't be upset with my purple floss this year, its my creative license!  I did decide to learn the Colonial Knot.

So, who do I blame for coming up with this knot?  Someone from the late 1400's to the 1700's or later.  I think you should have 3 hands to accomplish all the twisting and turning around the needle.  I did find pretty clear directions with pictures on pinterest and followed the link to this blog  http://mysweetprairie.blogspot.com/2012/02/saturday-stitches.html ~ its really not this gals fault that I am uncoordinated!

Here are pictures of the project so far....I've decided sitting at the computer, staring at each step over and over again is really helpful!  To me, there is a visible difference between the french & colonial knots.  The colonial knot is pouffier looking.  Now I have to decide if I am really going to blow the fair ladies minds and do the center of the flower in yellow!




4 hours later.....


3 comments:

  1. Go for it! It doesn't hurt to shake them up once in a while

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for joining. It's going to be a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Michelle! I am about 3/4's of the way through the knots on the outline ~ there is no turning back now! They have gotten marginally easier, but I don't think this craft will be a "passion"...just doing it for a fair entry!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the farm ~ we are a blended family with 7 children (3 are married), 4 grandsons, 5 dogs, 3 rabbits, and 15 chickens living on 3 acres in Georgia. I love crafting, sewing, cooking & canning, recipes of all kinds, reading, playing with my little buddies, family time, travel, pinterest and most of all the Lord.