Friday, June 24, 2011

Southern-isms

Some southern-isms to share....


GRITS has 2 meanings  1. Girls Raised in the South  (thats me)
                                       2. That wonderful breakfast food made from corn ~ I like mine smooth &                                             creamy with salt & butter

Coke ~ any soft drink in the south is a coke, not pop or soda.  A coke is usually a Coca-Cola.

Y'all ~ singular or plural it means the same "you all"

Fixin to ~ "I'm fixin to go to the grocery store"  About to, in a minute I'm going, etc.

 Snow ~ the white flakes that fall from the sky...doesn't matter how many.  Down here snow is snow.  If it covers the ground and coats the roads ~ everything stops.  When we say it didn't snow last winter, that means we never saw a flake.

Food ~ illness, surgery, death in the family, promotion, new baby, etc. is celebrated with food.   We do it all the time.

Grill ~ cookout, barbeque, whatever you call it.  We do it year round...rain, snow, extreme heat ~ we love to cook out. 

I am sure I will think of others to share....

But right now, I'm fixin to get off this computer.  Bye y'all!

1 comment:

  1. I've got a hankrin to. means I'm thinking about it beyond just a passing thought, but up and including putting it in the budget.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the farm ~ we are a blended family with 7 children (3 are married), 4 grandsons, 5 dogs, 3 rabbits, and 15 chickens living on 3 acres in Georgia. I love crafting, sewing, cooking & canning, recipes of all kinds, reading, playing with my little buddies, family time, travel, pinterest and most of all the Lord.