Monday, December 20, 2010

No Virginia, There isn't a Santa Claus

There is no easy way to start this that will keep you from shaking your head and rolling your eyes, so to be blunt, we have removed Santa Claus from our home.

Ok, now that your eyes have finished the ring around the room and refocused, please give me a few minutes to tell you why we came to this decision for our home. Anything that tries to take the place of Jesus is an idol. Many of the attributes of SC were stolen from Jesus. Satan is the father of all lies. To tell the story of SC, we lie to our children until they are old enough to know the truth. That is way too blunt, and it does not take into account the fantasy life and imagination we want our young ones to grow up with. I do think we can say, “This is a true story of the birth of Jesus”, or “This is a story about Narnia that isn’t true, but it is fun to imagine.” As an aside, I think a story about witches {HP} or vampires {twilight} is both untrue and un-Godly.

My first time to “play” Santa was the Christmas of 1986. My boys were 3 days old and in intensive care. I wasn’t prepared. How I wish I had known then how to celebrate Jesus’ birth in scripture and in truth. As parents, we want to replicate the magic and wonder that we remember from those days when we could hardly sleep all night, wondering what kind of toys and gifts we were going to get. Can we change now and put SC away, put the Glory on Jesus, give Him thanks for all that He has blessed us with, and love our family members; showering them with CDs, gift cards, and crafty creations?

Here are some Biblical attributes of Jesus. He bids children to come to Him.

Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for hof such is the kingdom of God. 15 Assuredly, I say to you, iwhoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will jby no means enter it.” 16 And He took them up in His arms, laid His hands on them, and blessed them.

Jesus gives us spiritual gifts.

7 But ito each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift. 8 Therefore He says:
j“When He ascended on high,
He led captivity captive,
And gave gifts to men.”
9 k(Now this, “He ascended”—what does it mean but that He also 4first descended into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He who descended is also the One lwho ascended far above all the heavens, mthat He might fill all things.)

Jesus is omniscient, He knows everything. He also calls naughty what it is, sin.

13 lAnd there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are mnaked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.

Jesus’ garments are red.

Who is this who comes from Edom,
With dyed garments from Bozrah,
This One who is 1glorious in His apparel,
Traveling in the greatness of His strength?—
“I who speak in righteousness, mighty to save.”
2 Why ais Your apparel red,
And Your garments like one who treads in the winepress?

Jesus has white hair.

14 His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow,

Santa wears a red suit, white hair, keeps a list of naughty and nice, brings us gifts, gathers children, and sits on a throne. He is an imposter trying to steal the Glory that belongs to Jesus. He steals the gratitude of children that should be given to Jesus and parents for the gifts on Christmas morning. It hurts to not get the deserved thanks when you give gifts. SC is based on a lie, a myth. He is called the jolly old elf. From the 1828 Webster’s dictionary, an elf is a spirit, the night-mar; a ghost, hag or witch. Santa was not a word in 1828.

Note from Donna: Greg and I both celebrated Santa when we were children and with each of our 7 children. I never felt lied to or betrayed by my parents when I found out “the truth” about Santa, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy. I knew what the holiday was celebrated for ~ the fantasy was added on.

After having children, when friends would tell me they “didn’t do Santa” they never could tell me why ~ just they didn’t like it ~ which to me was a cop out explanation. My friend, Kathryn, told me the Lord had blessed them. And they wanted their children to know they were passing on the blessings to them and didn’t want someone imaginary taking the credit for it. Now that is a reasonable explanation. I do remember feeling let-down on Christmas morning after my children got their gifts, and someone else got credit; especially when I was a single mom & worked hard for the gifts.

Another friend's 9 year old asked, "Why are we buying gifts for poor kids to take to the Angel Tree? Doesn't Santa visit them too?" Her mom, not wanting to lie told her the truth. She responded with, "Well, why didn't you just tell me that to begin with?"

The clincher for me on this exploration of the history was finding out that in most of the world the name “Old Nick” as he is sometimes called means devil or Satan. And in German the name “Kris Kringle” means Christ Child. There is only 1 Jesus and he doesn’t live in the N. Pole or ride on a sleigh one time a year. Amy packed up all our Santas in boxes and they are in the garage.

h [1 Cor. 14:20; 1 Pet. 2:2]
i Matt. 18:3, 4; 19:14; Luke 18:17
j Luke 13:28
The New King James Version. Nashville : Thomas Nelson, 1982, S. Mk 10:14-16
i [1 Cor. 12:7, 11]
j Ps. 68:18; [Col. 2:15]
k Luke 23:43; John 3:13; 20:17; [1 Pet. 3:19, 20]
4 NU omits first
l Acts 1:9
m [Acts 2:33; Eph. 1:23]
The New King James Version. Nashville : Thomas Nelson, 1982, S. Eph 4:7-10
l 2 Chr. 16:9; Ps. 33:13–15; 90:8
m Job 26:6; Prov. 15:11
The New King James Version. Nashville : Thomas Nelson, 1982, S. Heb 4:12-13
1 Or adorned
a [Rev. 19:13, 15]
The New King James Version. Nashville : Thomas Nelson, 1982, S. Is 63:1-2
g Dan. 7:9
The New King James Version. Nashville : Thomas Nelson, 1982, S. Re 1:14

3 comments:

  1. Great post!! As I told you, we don't do Santa either but I have told my children to be respectful of people who do. I love all of this research that you have found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am standing up applauding for you two! We took Santa out of our house about 3 years ago. The scripture you have put in your post is fantastic - never heard those go along with the Santa discussion - but have a feeling I will be using them in the future! :)

    As Trixi said - our kids are perfectly fine knowing the truth but we also teach them to respect other children who celebrate Christmas with Santa.

    Great post Greg & Donna!!

    Merry CHRISTmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Trixi and Stephanie ~ guess what, I don't miss him. Its kinda strange, but welcome. I hope you both have a Merry CHRISTmas.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the farm ~ we are a blended family with 7 children (3 are married), 4 grandsons, 5 dogs, 3 rabbits, and 15 chickens living on 3 acres in Georgia. I love crafting, sewing, cooking & canning, recipes of all kinds, reading, playing with my little buddies, family time, travel, pinterest and most of all the Lord.