Last night we all listened to a Webinar featuring Voddie Bauchum. He is a powerful speaker and not ashamed of the gospel. He tells it like it is which is very refreshing in todays world. Last night was supposed to be his message "Harvard or Heaven" which I was really looking forward to hearing. But instead it turned out to be an interview "based" on the message. I really would have preferred the message and then questions afterwards, but I wasn't in charge.
One comment he made at he beginning which really stuck with me was "as parents, we shouldn't be preparing them for college, we should be preparing them for heaven". What a refreshing standpoint.
He also repeatedly observed that
1. colleges don't care how long it takes for your child to graduate because the college makes more money the longer your child is a student there
2. There are many children in college who shouldn't be there and aren't mentally equipped for the challenge...thats why there are so many remedial classes for freshmen. They didn't learn it in high school and they aren't ready for college.
3. The goal of some of the professors is to erase any Christianity from your child and their life. They see this as a way to un-program all that you have taught and discipled your children through their first 18 years in your family.
4. Only 31% of college graduates are literate enough to read a textbook and have a discussion with you about it. So that means that 69% graduate and don't have a clue.
5. Its a very small percentage of students with Bachelors Degrees that actually work in the field they studied for. Most 4 year degrees are useless and not worth the paper they are printed on.
6. A growing number of employers are now requiring Masters Degrees for jobs because the Bachelors degree is useless.
7. The college freshmen and older are usually away from home for the first time and don't have going to class and making good grades as their goals. Their goals are more along the lines of partying, skipping class, staying up all night, etc.
8. Some people aren't cut out for college!!!!!! Pray and seek the Lord on your childs behafe and see what he has "wired" them for. There are many job markets open for laborers who want to learn a trade And they make really good money.
9. Just because everyone does it, doesn't mean you have to! Some students want to attend college to put off real life. They have it made with their parents supporting them as they "find" themselves. And they don't have any obligations to meet.
10. College is really expensive. College costs are rising even in this recession. People will cut costs in many different areas of their life but put their family in great debt to provide college. Many students graduate with huge student loan debt and then get a low paying job at the mall or a fast food restaurant. (I am ALL for students taking some responsibility for their tuition. I think they will be more inclined to attend class and pass, if they are paying at least part of the bill)
Overall, I think it was a great interview and got alot out of it. It strengthened our resolve that Katie is exactly where she needs to be. And we know where Will & Amy will be heading. We just don't know yet the hows and the whys and the whatfors, we have a couple of years for that.
If you would like to hear any Voddie Bauchum sermons, you can go to Sermon Audio.org and listened. Just click on speakers on the left column, find his name and hit play. He has an incredible sermon on "How do we know the Bible is Real". I think there are 23 Voddie sermons on there for everyone to listen to. Also, he will be doing a "Faith & Family" conference in Southaven, Miss. Oct. 8 & 9 (we are going!) and he and Ken Ham will be the featured speakers the first weekend in May 2011 for the Georgia Home Educators Conference (going to that too).