Thursday, August 18, 2016

Impossible Cheeseburger Pie

I was looking for a new recipe to try for dinner last night that involved ground beef ~ I already had some browned and wanted a simple recipe!  I looked through my Low Carb Pinterest Board for my Tortilla Soup recipe but ran across the Impossible Cheeseburger Pie recipe.  It looked interesting ~ I made a few changes since I didn't have the exact ingredients.  Dinner was a hit and we've already thought up a few ingredients to spice it up, we thought it needed a little something extra.  Like ~ season salt instead of regular,  the addition of chopped up bell peppers would have been good, and some good dollops of worchestershire sauce.  All that being said ~ we ate it ~ Greg and Will had seconds and took it in their lunches today too!  I doubled the recipe and made 2 pans and we have a whole one left.  It will be frozen and pulled out for a future meal.  We had lady peas with it.  Quite a tasty dinner.

Here is a link to the original recipe ~ http://lowcarbyum.com/cheeseburger-pie/.   I love her site, and can't wait to explore it more! 

Here is the recipe ~ and the changes I made last night ~

*1 pound ground beef or venison burger
*1 cup shredded onion
*1/2 teaspoon salt
*1/3 cup coconut flour (I used the THM baking blend for the 2 flours)
*3 tablespoons almond flour
*1 teaspoon baking powder
*1 cup unsweetened almond milk (I used regular milk)
*4 large eggs
*1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
*tomato (optional) didn't use

Instructions ~
1. Cook ground beef and onion in skillet until meat is brown, about 8-10 minutes.  (I drain mine in a colander to get the extra grease off)
2. Spread beef mix into pie plate and sprinkle with salt.
3. Mix together coconut flour, almond flour, baking powder, almond milk and eggs.
4. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the meat. Sprinkle about 1 cup of cheese on top.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and top with optional tomato if desired, and remaining cheese.
7. Bake an additional 5 minutes.

Makes 8 servings. About 2 net carbs per serving.

My net carbs would change some because of the milk change in the recipe.  I used the THM blend because I had it, but Kroger now carries a gluten free baking blend, so I will try that when the other is used up.

I used my square pyrex pans. And cut my pan into 9 squares.  1 square was plenty for me but my guys at 2.  They also have 2 each packed into their lunches.  Greg thought that bacon would make a nice addition, so we may try that next time and brown it with the ground beef and onion.

But, even with the changes we are talking about ~ when my husband takes his first bite and utters "this is good", I know its a keeper!


Thankful for ~

folks that share recipes on Pinterest
having an easy print recipe button on the blog (which I don't know how to do)
finding recipes that don't include lots of fancy ingredients
an easy dinner to serve with a vegetable side
leftovers for lunches


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the farm ~ we are a blended family with 7 children (3 are married), 4 grandsons, 5 dogs, 3 rabbits, and 15 chickens living on 3 acres in Georgia. I love crafting, sewing, cooking & canning, recipes of all kinds, reading, playing with my little buddies, family time, travel, pinterest and most of all the Lord.