Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Apple Butter

Last fall, Greg and I made a trek to North Georgia to apple farms.  I got a 20 (? ~ don't remember exact weight) pound box of apples.  I cored them and cooked them down for apple juice.  Then I saved all the pulpy goodness and froze it.  I ended up with 2 Tupperware cereal containers full of pulp.  I pulled it out last week to start thawing in the fridge.  I made up this recipe based on some others I had seen on pinterest.  I don't know the exact weight of the pulp ~ both of my 6 quart crockpots were 3/4 full of the pulp. To each I added 2 cups of apple cider, 1 cup of brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons of cinnamon.  They cooked on high for about 6 hours, then I turned to low and they cooked overnight ~ my kitchen smelled amazing this morning!  This morning, I removed the lids, and ground everything together with my hand held blender.  Turned the crockpots back to high and let it bubble for about an hour with no lids to thicken ~ think of the consistency of Cracker Barrel apple butter.  I spooned this yummy, molten goodness into 4 half pint jars, and 7 pint jars.  Its water bath canning right now...20 minutes. 

Its really good.  Almost too sweet ~ next time I will try it with no brown sugar. 

I don't know why I waited this long to try crock pot butter, the pear/apple from last week and the apple butter from this week, were both really easy to do.  I guess I was hesitant because it was something new.

Thankful for ~
new taste treats
2 large crockpots
lots of jars and lids
time to experiment & taste
apples!


a very full canner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the farm ~ we are a blended family with 7 children (3 are married), 4 grandsons, 5 dogs, 3 rabbits, and 15 chickens living on 3 acres in Georgia. I love crafting, sewing, cooking & canning, recipes of all kinds, reading, playing with my little buddies, family time, travel, pinterest and most of all the Lord.