Friday, October 30, 2015

Lots of Apples

When we purchased a bushel of apples ~ it didn't look that big in the baskets.  But that was a lot of apples....and they may have multiplied on the way home.  

Of the bushel ~ 1/2 granny smith and 1/2 winesap ~ about 15 or so were eaten.  And the rest are stored in jars to be enjoyed this winter & beyond ~ or used as gifts.

We've got 11 jelly jars & 17 pints of apple jelly. There is probably another jelly jar size of jelly in my fridge stored in Tupperware ~ I ran out of the small jars. Also, 7 quarts & 5 pints of apple slices ready for apple crisp.  There is also 2 large Tupperware containers (cereal keepers) absolutely full of apple pulp from making the juice for the jelly, that I will make into apple butter. 

The apple pulp containers are frozen for a time in the future when I have time to figure out how to make apple butter.  I would imagine it would be about the same process as the pear butter I made but with lots more cinnamon.

The jelly is made from the recipe included in the boxed fruit pectin.  We are crediting the success of the jelly to using the powdered pectin that we bought in New York from the Amish Bulk grocery store.  I am totally thrilled that every jar sealed and every jar jelled ~ no runny jelly! 





my sister bought me the cool green lids & rings and blue lids & rings!


yummy in a jar ~ I used 1/2 water and 1/2 unsweetened apple juice for the liquid

jelly ready to be stored in the pantry
Thankful for

apples ~ one of my favorite fruits
Amish bulk powdered pectin
every jar sealing & jelling
the 5 apples trees Greg bought to start our own orchard
help with slicing the apples from Greg & Amy

I also shared this post at Farmgirl Friday bloghop ~ http://deborahjeansdandelionhouse.blogspot.com/2015/10/farmgirl-friday-blog-hop-208-and-happy.html

1 comment:

  1. A friend of mine had a bumper crop this year and shared with me. I am so blessed with great friends. Usually I make pie filling, but this year I just canned them. I felt it would give me more chooses to use them. Next year I am going to try dehydrating the peels and mix them with sugar for a snack.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the farm ~ we are a blended family with 7 children (3 are married), 4 grandsons, 5 dogs, 3 rabbits, and 15 chickens living on 3 acres in Georgia. I love crafting, sewing, cooking & canning, recipes of all kinds, reading, playing with my little buddies, family time, travel, pinterest and most of all the Lord.