Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Homemade Shampoo

Many months ago I posted about the No Poo method of hair washing.  No Poo as in no shampoo ~ it worked great but I missed suds.  Strange but true.

About a month ago, I found a post of a "friends" blog about making your own shampoo using Castille soap and essential oils.  Ahhhh, a new idea!  The original post is here ~ http://marmeespantry.blogspot.com/2015/02/easy-homemade-rosemary-peppermint-tea.html (I said "friend" because after you read a persons blog for years, you kind of become "friends".  Kim has some great DIY projects on her blog!)

I gathered all the essential ingredients ~ 5!  Distilled water, liquid unscented castile soap, rosemary essential oil, tea tree essential oil, and peppermint essential oil.  And a jar to store this in.

Now the hard part ~ drop the oils into the bottle, add the water and soap, gently shake, cap the bottle till you are ready to use it.  Got that?  Easy peasy!  Time to make this ~ 2 minutes! 

It smells amazing!  Works great!  And I have some suds!  And its a dual purpose mix ~ I've used it as a body wash too ~ very gentle to your skin!  And did I mention ~ it smells amazing?

My jar is one that my daughter in law, Jennifer saved me from her starbucks frappucino thingies, that she occasionally likes...I knew those jars would come in handy!  (Amy is using the jars for her homemade bath salts too!)



I found this flip top jar at Hobby Lobby for 1/2 price last week.  I am going to glass etch "shampoo" on the jar and use this for the shampoo.  The starbucks jar works great but it is kinda tricky with the wider mouth of the jar when you are pouring the shampoo into your hand.  The mixture is very liquid, not thick like commercial products. 

This recipe is a keeper.

Oh yeah....it smells amazing!

(I ordered my castile soap off Amazon, then I found it at our local "hippie" grocery store for $5.99 for 16 ounces.  Some friends shared last week that our Kroger carries it and not long ago they had a buy 1 get 1 free sale ~ hopefully they will have another one of these soon!)

2 comments:

  1. Looks like Marmee deleted that post. Can you give specifics on the amounts of everything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to pop on over to your blog and say Hi!! I'm Christine, and I found your blog through Patsy's "A Working Pantry" Facebook page. My maiden name is Jackson!! Your three grandsons are cuuu-uuute! I can't wait until I have some of my own. :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the farm ~ we are a blended family with 7 children (3 are married), 4 grandsons, 5 dogs, 3 rabbits, and 15 chickens living on 3 acres in Georgia. I love crafting, sewing, cooking & canning, recipes of all kinds, reading, playing with my little buddies, family time, travel, pinterest and most of all the Lord.