Thursday, February 27, 2014

Spice Tea

We have a spice tea recipe that we really like ~ Greg drinks this instead of coffee daily.

Its taken some tweaking and experimenting to get it "safe" for us to drink on our diet/lifestyle change.

Our new recipe is ~

1 jar instant tea (I use decaf)
5 cups stevia, splenda, sweet n low, or equal (we are using splenda right now)
1 container lemonade packs
1 container 'tang' packs
4 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves

Whisk/stir together, store in airtight containers.  Add 2 tsp. mix to 1 mug of hot water.  Adjust the mix added for smaller or larger mugs ~ we use 4 tsp. for the insulated, travel type mugs.

The lemonade & tang packs come in a container ~ each pack makes 2 qt. and already has the artificial sweetener in it.  The only place right now I can find the s.f. tang type mix is at Walmart ~ their brand is called Orange Rise N Shine.  Tang used to make a s.f. variety but I can't find it anywhere.  I mix it up in large batches because we drink so much of it ~ this is the 4th or 5th batch this winter!


The cute vegetable jar the mix is stored in is from my Aunts home.  The rubber seal for the lid desinigrated  several years ago and Amy made me one using craft fun foam ~ works great.  I usually buy the store brand of all the ingredients, but I can't find a store brand of the decaf tea.

One time when I couldn't find the 'tang' I substituted orange koolaid ~ not a good choice...it was just ok.  Much too orangey tasting.

Here is the original recipe :

1 tsp. cinnamon sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 cup instant tea (with sugar)
18 oz. jar Tang
2 packets lemonade
2 cups sugar

I am sharing this post on "Farmgirl Friday"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the farm ~ we are a blended family with 7 children (3 are married), 4 grandsons, 5 dogs, 3 rabbits, and 15 chickens living on 3 acres in Georgia. I love crafting, sewing, cooking & canning, recipes of all kinds, reading, playing with my little buddies, family time, travel, pinterest and most of all the Lord.