Friday, May 25, 2012

General Maxims for Health ~ American Frugal Housewife

For all of us who want to be healthy & full of life.
A few oldies but goodies~~~~

*Rise early
*Eat simple food
*Take plenty of exercise. Never fear a little fatigue
*Avoid the necessity of a physician by careful attention to your diet
*eat what best agrees with your system and abstain from what hurts you
*If you find your self really ill, send for a good physician, have nothing to do with quacks
*Wear shoes that are large enough
*Wash very often
*Have your bed chamber well aired ~ it is not healthy to sleep in heated rooms
*Too frequent use of an ivory comb injures the hair

Great, timeless advice!  Love the line about having nothing to do with quacks!  

This was written by Lydia Maria Francis Child
in 1832

One of my free finds for the Kindle!


1 comment:

  1. I have this on my to be read list. Probably will be in July. I can't wait I have had it for some time.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the farm ~ we are a blended family with 7 children (3 are married), 4 grandsons, 5 dogs, 3 rabbits, and 15 chickens living on 3 acres in Georgia. I love crafting, sewing, cooking & canning, recipes of all kinds, reading, playing with my little buddies, family time, travel, pinterest and most of all the Lord.