Sunday, August 8, 2010

Year 15 is About to Begin

Tomorrow is the BIG day. My 15th year as a homeschooling Mama. When I began this journey in 1996, I never imagined all the blessings and difficulties it would bring. It has been more fun than I ever thought possible.

Highlights of the last 14 years

*Watching the lightbulb click on over a math concept (me and the children!)

*Teaching a child to read (Amy didn't like it to start with and struggled till she was about 9 1/2 and then everything fell into place. If you can't find her know, check her room, she is curled up with a book)

*Graduating 3 children from highschool (James, Allen & Katie)

*Spending hours studying history complete with tank/airplane coloring pages, war footage videos with James and Allen: With Greg, Katie, Will, & Amy touring Nat'l Parks & Battlefields, Presidential homes, & Washington DC.

*Watching & participating in children becoming young adults. Being with my children 24/7 offers me unique opportunities that I wouldn't have otherwise.

*Turning everyday life into a learning adventure. Yesterday, we scooped up frog eggs from our pool and now the kids are watching for tadpoles. We've been avid chicken watchers this spring/summer...they are funny to watch.

*Seeing my younger 3 children become really good friends.

*Watching the transformation to homeschool Dad in Greg. He plans wonderful adventures and trips for our family to take advantage of educational opportunities.

*The knowledge that every day, the Lord gives me the strength to handle that day and all the situations that arise.

2 comments:

  1. It's wonderful isn't it!?! I would never trade anything for the pleasure of teaching my kids to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 15th anniversary! That is amazing. You get huge kudos from me!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the farm ~ we are a blended family with 7 children (3 are married), 4 grandsons, 5 dogs, 3 rabbits, and 15 chickens living on 3 acres in Georgia. I love crafting, sewing, cooking & canning, recipes of all kinds, reading, playing with my little buddies, family time, travel, pinterest and most of all the Lord.