Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Varsity

We interrupt our regularly scheduled healthy eating to bring you "The Varsity". An Atlanta icon, that I grew up on, and now realize from non-Atlantans is an acquired taste. The Varsity has 4 locations...one in Atlanta near GA Tech, one in Athens near University of GA, one off Briarcliff Road, and one off Jimmy Carter in Norcross. I've been to all of them but my very, very favorite is downtown Atlanta. It takes up a whole city block and the echoes of "whadya have" reverberate through the joint. Some folks downtown have worked there for decades, it amazing.

On our recent trip to Atlanta, we ate at the Varsity for lunch the day before Thanksgiving. Since we didn't want to get stuck in the downtown traffic, we opted for the restaurant off Jimmy Carter. Same great, greasy food...not quite the same atmosphere.

My favorite Varsity meal...chili dog, fries & a coke. Greg loves the onion rings!

Mom, Greg, & Katie's Fried Peach Pies

Its all gone! Sure was yummy!!!


Will, Amy & Katie sporting their Varsity hats!

The meal tasted so good, that Will & I decided to order another chili dog for each of us. Then I decided (after devouring it) that the 2nd chili dog was probably not such a good idea. Just didn't agree with me.

The Varsity dogs come in several different varieties...chili dog with mustard, chili slaw dog, or Amy's personal favorite the naked dog. The traditional is the chili dog with mustard...don't add ketchup, it just ruins it. But you could add a big mound of raw onions to complete the yummy goodness. I didn't do that last time but I have in the past.

Mom's favorite drink here is a Frosted Orange. I'd just rather have a coke.

7 comments:

  1. I heard about that place when we were in Atlanta ... we may have to try it next year when we go back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is absolutely awesome! You drove by 2 getting up to Suwanee...the downtown location & Jimmy Carter Blvd. location!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're making me hungry. Chilli dog with mustard and onions sounds yummy!! Onion rings and a chocolate shake is how I'd do it. No Varsity's around here, I'll have to settle for Sonic's - not the same I'm sure!!

    I've only been to Atlanta once in my life but if and when I go back we'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I love the Varsity! And I did not know there was one in Suwanee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, there isn't one in Suwanee, Jennifer went to Suwanee and I was telling her she passed 2 Varsity's on her way up there. Sorry for the confusion

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your site :-) I remember going to the downtown Varsity as a kid during summer roadtrips. We'd often drive from Virginia to Florida and we'd always make sure to go to the Varsity in Atlanta. Best chilli dog ever!

    Oh and ps- congrats on being the featured SAHM blog on top mommy blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmm, chili dog. Can you get it with cheese? That would be the bomb!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the farm ~ we are a blended family with 7 children (3 are married), 4 grandsons, 5 dogs, 3 rabbits, and 15 chickens living on 3 acres in Georgia. I love crafting, sewing, cooking & canning, recipes of all kinds, reading, playing with my little buddies, family time, travel, pinterest and most of all the Lord.