Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Essentially DIY Projects

I was busy yesterday and totally forgot about blogging.  I do have 2 essential oil recipes that I did last week and both turned out great.

The first was a DIY eye make up remover ~ its awesome

Equal parts of fractionated coconut oil (fco) and water
1/2 the above amount of witch hazel
25 drops Lavender Essential Oil

(On the fco water and witch hazel, I did 2 tbsp. each of the fco and water and 1 tablespoon of the wh)

I didn't take a picture because a pic of a bottle of clear liquid is not real exciting.  But I love this stuff ~ will definitely be replacing my old make up remover with this.  Very soothing and easy to use ~ I squirt it on the little cotton rounds.  I got this recipe from my friend Kim, in Mississippi!

The next is DIY- Moisturizing Lotion Bars (from doTERRA)

2/3 cup beeswax
1/2 cup coconut oil (not fractionated)
1/2 cup cocoa butter
1 teaspoon vitamin E oil (got at Walmart)
15 drops doTERRA oil (I used citrus bliss ~ 20-25 drops would have been better)

*Measure all ing., except for Essential oil in a large glass jar (used a quart canning jar)
*Place jar in saucepan with 1-1.5 inches of boiling water
*Stir ingredients till combined (its takes a little while for the beeswax to completely melt)
*Once, melted, remove from heat. Let rest 3 minutes.
*Add essential oil and stir.
*Pour mixture into a silicone mold.
*Let mixture harden 2-3 hours. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in container until ready to use.
*Rub lotion bar on skin for extreme moisture.

Pictures ~

the jar is ready for the boiling water
The ingredients ~ I used beeswax pellets because they are supposed to melt faster

the ingredients are starting to melt


for the 2nd batch I put a crocheted dishrag on the bottom of the pan, kept the jar from rattling in the water!



all melted and ready to pour

I got this cute owl mold of wish ~ for little lotion bars

Got this mold off wish too ~ both work well ~ this one is a little too big
Next time I will use a little deeper pot.  I am also going to make a batch of lavender/frankincense bars ~ I think it will smell amazing and both oils have great skin soothing/rejeuvinating properties.  Since we used the silicone molds the bars came right out.  The owl faces & details are cute but after you use it a couple of times....all the detail has melted away.

*These do not feel greasy.  I just rub it on my skin and it absorbs pretty quickly.

*Using 15 drops of oil is not enough scent ~ as Amy said "she can still smell the beeswax".

*In the summertime, you may have to refrigerate these, coconut oil melts at the 70 degree range ~ not sure what it will do in this mixture.

Both recipes are a keeper!  I have used both daily since I made them!  Bonus ~ there are no ingredients that I don't know what they are!

http://mydoterra.com/jacksonsessentialoils

Happy DIY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the farm ~ we are a blended family with 7 children (3 are married), 4 grandsons, 5 dogs, 3 rabbits, and 15 chickens living on 3 acres in Georgia. I love crafting, sewing, cooking & canning, recipes of all kinds, reading, playing with my little buddies, family time, travel, pinterest and most of all the Lord.