Galatians 2:20 & 21 "For I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lines in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing."

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Sometimes Things get out of Hand

I finished a cross stitch project & went to put my thread away ~ and it was obvious that I had finished more than one project (4 or 5 at least) and had never taken the time to clean up.  Ya know, sometimes stuff just becomes part of the "scenery" and you get used to it being a mess.

Yesterday I tackled the mess & it took several hours to straighten every thing out ~  I use DMC floss...I love it!  I read last year that to pull the floss from the hank to use ~ you should always pull from the end with the number tag.....then its not supposed to knot up as you pull.  This information I could have used 35 or 40 years ago.  I will say, it almost always works~

Here is the proof!

a jumbled mess

ready for sorting and boxing up

a naked floss bobbin ~ have no idea what # this is

pull from the end with the # label

beautiful neatness


my overflow tub!

cross stitch books & leaflets

everything is neat in the floss world!
It is so much easier to find what I need, when I need it, IF I put it up when I am finished with a project!  I am the one who can and does mess this up!  I like the little plastic floss bobbins to store the floss on & buy the packs of the number labels to stick on them.  I've got 4 floss boxes full & a 5th about 1/3 full and I don't have all the colors.  When my boys were little, my cousin found out about a gal having a garage sale and selling a bunch of cross stitch supplies.  This gal did it about twice a year ~ we never found out where she got the stuff from.  She would sell the DMC floss for .10 each, books for $1 each, and fabric, needles, hoops, etc for various prices.  It was easy to stock up on floss when you could buy 100 for $10.  We stocked up during her sales ~ keeping up with what we already had) and were able to build our floss stash!  Some of these are 25 years old and still sew great ~ DMC says they don't change their color shades but we have had to replace some of the colors when we ran out & the shades were different.  If its in the middle of a project ~ I call either my mom or sister & they usually can find the old shade in their stash and help me out. 

Happy Stitching!

(Now I have to carry that single floss bobbin up to Hobby Lobby and try to match it and figure out the number)

Update ~ so I take that floss bobbin to Hobby Lobby and could not match it to any color ~ argh!  And I printed off 2 coupons for 40% off and had 2 of an item I wanted to buy and begin working on for gifts next December...but while in the store I completely forgot what the things were.  I remembered 2 hours later as we were pulling into our driveway ~ again argh!  We will be back over that way on Sat. for Rosies dog training class, I can get them then!

4 comments:

  1. Several years ago (when I thought Izzy might cross-stitch) the woman across the street died and we bought her thread and one of those handy boxes. I think it's still pretty neat since we never used it much! So, I may have a long-lost same color dye if you ever need it! Happy un-cluttering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, I will remember that! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so nice to be organized. I'm impressed. I really should take some time to organize. I've used the floss bobbins before but find that I prefer to leave the thread in hanks. I'm not sure why, but I think it is a tactile thing. Silly -I know. I also knew about pulling from one end, but I never knew which end! Thanks so much for that information!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wish it was that "easy" to get my yarn stash that neat!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! This blog is based on my Christian view of my role in our home, with lots of cooking, creativity, homeschooling and gardening sprinkled throughout. I also talk about my faith & journey on my Christian walk. I pray you will have a blessed day!