Thursday, July 5, 2012

Bread Baking Thursday

bread dough risen and overflowing mixing bowl ~ tried a double recipe, not a good idea

dough rising in pans

finished loaves! 
Proverbs 31:27 "She watches over the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness."

Adapted Recipe from Homestead Blessings

Wheat Bread Recipe

2 1/2 cups warm water
2 cups whole wheat flour
(plus an additional 5 or more cups to complete recipe)
2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup honey
2 tbsp. ground flax seed
2 tbsp. lecithin
2 tbsp. yeast

Mix together the first 6 ingredients.  Mix in the yeast.  Then add in enough flour (alternate between whole wheat & unbleached white) to make a soft dough ~ about 5 cups or more.  Knead well for 10 minutes.  Let rise until doubled - about 30-40 minutes.  Punch down, divide dough into 2 loaves and place into well greased bread pans.  Let rise again - 20 min. or so.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown on top.

**We use fresh ground whole wheat flour.
**I grind the flax seeds in a coffee grinder (used only for spices)

Stores sell some good whole wheat bread...but most of the nutrients are removed from the wheat when its processed in such huge quantities ~~~ then they sell the wheat germ seperately.  Grinding it fresh preserves all the nutrition of the whole wheat kernel and tastes amazing!

**And for you skeptics about the difficulty of grinding the wheat ~ you dump it in the grinder (I have a Nutrimill), push the on button and it grinds.  Thats how easy it is!  And I was once a skeptic too.  Then I listened to a presentation from Bread Beckers in the Atlanta area and changed my "uneducated thinking" about the whole process. 

6 comments:

  1. I made a losf of bread once, I obviously killed the yeast,it was so hard you could have used it for a weapon. I have often wished that I had saved it and used it for a doorstop. Never had the courage to try again. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could have been petrified by now! Thanks for not making us eat the rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had my bread over rise. Mine didn't turn out. I am glad your did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We decided this was a picture reference for how God is blessing us. "Our cup is running over!"
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm! There is nothing in the world quite like freshly baked bread :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I came over from Sharon's blog

    thanks for a big laugh this morning on your overflowing bread bowl- sort of like an I Love Lucy moment.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the farm ~ we are a blended family with 7 children (3 are married), 4 grandsons, 5 dogs, 3 rabbits, and 15 chickens living on 3 acres in Georgia. I love crafting, sewing, cooking & canning, recipes of all kinds, reading, playing with my little buddies, family time, travel, pinterest and most of all the Lord.