Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Baking Answer Book

I got several "Answer" books on different subjects from Vision Forum this year (thanks Mom) and one of them is about baking. I found a chart in the book about shelf life of baking products and thought I would share that info ~ they recommend that you mark the date you bought the product on the packaging and then start counting the shelf life from that point....

Item~storage location~length of time

Baking powder ~ pantry ~ 3 months
Baking soda ~ pantry ~ 6 months
Butter, unsalted ~ fridge ~ up to 3 months
                              freezer ~ up to 6 months

Chocolate ~ pantry ~ 1 year   (unsweetened, semisweet & bittersweet)
Cocoa powder ~ pantry ~ 1 year
Cornmeal ~ pantry ~ 6 months
                    fridge or freezer ~ 12 months
Cornstarch ~ pantry ~ 18 months
Corn Syrup ~ pantry ~ indefinite

Dried Fruit ~ pantry ~ 6 months

Eggs ~ in carton in fridge ~ 3-5 weeks

Expresso powder ~ pantry ~ 1 year

Flour, white ~ pantry ~ 8 months
                       freezer ~ 1 year

Flour, whole wheat ~ pantry ~ 2 months
                                   freezer ~ 6 months

Honey ~ pantry ~ 1 year

Molasses ~ pantry ~ 6 months

Nuts ~ freezer ~ 6 mo. - 1 year

Oats ~ pantry ~ 6 months
           fridge or freezer ~ 1 year

Peanut butter (natural) ~ fridge ~ 3 months

Salt ~ pantry ~ indefinite
Shortening ~ pantry ~ 3 months
Spices ~ pantry ~ 1 year
Sugar, brown ~ pantry ~ 4 months
Sugar, confectioners ~ pantry ~ 18 months
Sugar, granulated ~ pantry ~ 2 years

Vanilla & other extracts ~ pantry ~ 4-5 years
Vegetable Oil ~ pantry ~ 4-6 months

Yeast,dry ~ fridge ~ 6 months
                   freezer ~ 1 year

Yogurt ~ fridge ~ 3 weeks

Now as I typed this, I had to keep reminding myself that the product doesn't expire after that time but may lose some of its flavor or leavening (ok, yogurt does expire!).  I've got yeast in my freezer thats been there for 2 years and only comes out on baking day & as of 2 days ago is still leavening just fine.  I don't replace my spices every year, I replace them when I run out.  Chocolate doesn't stand of chance of lasting in our house for 1 year!  Neither does sugar or cocoa powder.  

But, if you are starting a kitchen from nothing, this is a good guideline ~ but probably the best guideline would be your mother or grandmother!

Thanks for the book Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the farm ~ we are a blended family with 7 children (3 are married), 4 grandsons, 5 dogs, 3 rabbits, and 15 chickens living on 3 acres in Georgia. I love crafting, sewing, cooking & canning, recipes of all kinds, reading, playing with my little buddies, family time, travel, pinterest and most of all the Lord.