Have you ever thought "Am I really saved"? I guess at some point, lots of folks have questioned their salvation or faith. I will say this, without getting too preachy, your salvation is a very personal issue. You are the only one who knows if your faith is real. No one else can tell you, if you're saved. Just because your Mama, Daddy or Grandma is a Christian doesn't mean you are, its a life changing decision that you personally make.
Evidentally, many people question their salvation because the John McArthur Study Bible has 2 lists for you to consider. The lists are as follows...
Evidences that neither Prove or disprove ones faith
A. Visible Morality Matt. 19:16-21 and 23:27
B. Intellectual Knowledge Romans 1:21 and 2:17
C. Religious Involvement Matt. 25: 1-10
D. Active Ministry Matt. 7: 21-24
E. Conviction of Sin Acts 24:25
F. Assurance Matt. 23
G. Time of Decision Luke 8: 13-14
The Proofs of Authentic Christianity
A. Love for God Romans 8:7
B. Repentance from Sin 1John 1:8-10
C. Genuine Humility Matt. 5: 1-2
D. Devotion to God's Glory 1 Corinthians 10:31
E. Continual Prayer James 5: 16-18
F. Selfless love 1John 2:9, 3:14, and 4:7
G. Separation from the World 1John 2:15-17, 5:5
H. Spiritual Growth Ephesians 4: 12-16
I. Obedient Living 1Peter 2: 13
J. Hunger for God's Word 1Peter 2:13
K. Transformation of Life 2 Corinthians 5:17
If list One is true and List Two isn't true in your life, there is cause to questions the validity of one profession of faith.
If List Two is true, then the 1st list will be also.
There are lots of folks in churches that are very active, involved, there everytime the door opens, leading Sunday School classes and ministries that realize "they aren't saved". Some sit there for years, Sunday after Sunday, and know they don't have a relationship with the Lord. It takes lots of courage for these people to humble themselves before the church and the Lord, and make a Profession of Faith. I've seen this happen in our church 2 times in the last 9 months.
Here is a little bit more from Thomas Watson (a Puritan Pastor/Writer)
1. Do you cry out at sin, being burdened with it, as an exceedingly bitter thing?
2. Do you fly from sin, as from the face of a deadly serpent?
3. Do you cry out from the insufficiency of your own self-righteousness?
4. Have you cried out to the Lord Jesus to save you fully & completely?
5. Do you see more worth & more merit in 1 drop of Christs blood to save you than in all the sins of the world to damn you?
6. Are you tender of sinning against Jesus Christ:
7. Would leave all the world for His sake?
8. Are you willing to give your life for Him?
9. Are His Saints (fellow believers) precious to you?
10. Is Jesus precious to you?
We watched both of these messages on "Wretched".
It does give you cause to think...ponder...pray!