Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Keepers At Home

Purpose: To learn to walk in the steps of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, day by day, moment by moment, in every situation.

Goal: To have a teachable spirit so that I can master the different crafts and skills which will enable me to become a competent well-balanced Christian girl who loves God, and who will one day be a proper helpmeet and keeper at home.

Verse: 1 Peter 2:21 :For even hereunto ye were called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow in his steps."

Prayer: Dear Lord, Teach me the way to make each day a stepping stone as I learn to walk in your steps, and with your help I will make of my life a harmony of love, joy and service to Thee, my family, and others.

The above is taken from the Keepers at Home book as the inspiration of the program.

Our 2nd meeting is this afternoon. I have the devotion today and as I read the inspiration of this program, I am reminded how I fall short in my own life. We are never too old to learn and my prayer is that we can teach/inspire our daughters so they are better prepared for life.

The following is a "Letter to Girls" included in the book by the creator of Keepers at Home, Mrs. Susan Zakula.

Dear Girls,

This book is for you! It is your stepping stone to becoming all God would have you to be. Because you will not always be a young girl but will grow up to become a lovely, Christian woman, this handbook will help you prepare for your future. As you work through its pages, you will learn how to make beautiful things with your hands, become competent through the knowledge of many skills, become an accomplished keeper at home, and develop a servant's heart through learning how to love others.
Now it the most important time in your life, for your are now becoming what you will be in the future. The things you enjoy doing now will be the things you will enjoy doing in the future. There is not a moment to waste in preparing to be a godly woman. So now is the time to be busy. My prayer to God for you is that this handbook will be a "stepping stone: to becoming a Christian woman prepared to be a helpmeet and servant of God.

Wow! What awesome goals for our daughters to aspire to! My prayer is that my daughters and the other girls in the group will embrace this program, make it their own, and explore all the gifts the Lord has blessed them with!



3 comments:

  1. Excellent! I do so appreciate the "Keepers at Home" set. (Is it still sold in a set of pink books? It's been a while since I've seen them.) I wish I would have found those when our girls were younger...but we went on to combine the "Training Our Daughters to Be Keepers of Their Homes" & "Far Above Rubies" multi-year unit studies. FANTASTIC for life skills! I combined them b/c one is almost all research & writing, while the other is almost all hands-on...I wanted something in-between so I combined them & used what worked together. I wrote about it in The Old Schoolhouse a couple of years ago. Hmmm...maybe I should post the article on my blog.

    Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna,

    I wanted to say thank you again for the very warm welcome our family received to join the keepers group. I felt just tremendously blessed. We look forward to all the new things we will learn. Even Jake can't wait to come back and play!
    Thank you,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy, I am so thrilled y'all joined us! Can't wait till the next meeting and getting to know you better! Donna

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the farm ~ we are a blended family with 7 children (3 are married), 4 grandsons, 5 dogs, 3 rabbits, and 15 chickens living on 3 acres in Georgia. I love crafting, sewing, cooking & canning, recipes of all kinds, reading, playing with my little buddies, family time, travel, pinterest and most of all the Lord.